Monday, February 15, 2010

Enthusiastic or Just Excessive?

I was at an epee competition at the weekend and had an interesting experience in my first direct elimination fight. I was fencing against a young man who I'd never seen before who was quite stocky, powerful and had a pronounced square shouldered stance. He was also obviously very..... hmmm.... enthusiastic. I had overheard him saying to another competitor earlier how he had imbibed several Red Bulls for breakfast to compensate for a late night and was now 'buzzing' and this was indeed the case. Basically his technique consisted of flecheing..... continuously. With a bent arm. This he did until he realised that I was simply stop hitting on his arm and he was now 8-3 down. Then he started to bind in sixte and fleche, which was marginally more effective in the sense that I basically parried in seconde and only occasionally got a stop in. I then figured out that when I attacked him he simply didn't know what to do and was 11-5 up at the break as a result. In the second period he became more desperate and as a result he began to fleche direct again with the same results as before. Now, I didn't mind him haemorrhaging points but what I did mind was as a result of his bizarre square stance he was running into me every time and there were two occasions where he came close to (accidentally) shouldering me in the face. Not much fun, particularly considering how 'enthusiastically' he was attacking. In the end I had him at 13-6 and he decided to leap upwards like a frog in a blender, allow me to stop hit him and then come down sideways on his ankle and probably sprain it. Net result 14-6 to me and him on the floor in obvious pain. I and the President suggested he might want to retire but no, with the Red Bull coursing through his veins he vowed to limp on heroically. So I lunged and hit him to get it done before he hurt himself even more.
Talking to several people after the fight this is apparently quite normal as the young man has a 'bubbly' character and always fences like that at his club. And there's the rub. Someone, either a fellow fencer or better still a coach, desperately needs to take this chap aside, put a metaphorical arm around his shoulder and say "Look chap, if you carry on like this then three things will happen: a) you'll continue to lose b) you'll hurt yourself c) you'll hurt someone else. He obviously is a very keen young fellow and it would be a shame if he eventually goes out of fencing through disillusionment at continually losing or injury. There's nothing wrong with enthusiasm but it needs to be tempered with some realistic and pragmatic coaching, rather than just letting someone get on with it because that's just the way they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home