Sunday, January 17, 2010

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, ALWAYS with the negative waves!*

I want to talk about energy in this post, which can always be a controversial subject in a martial arts and sports setting. However the concept of a person's energy influencing their performance and conduct is a very old one indeed. The Chinese call it Ch'i, the Japanese call it Ki (and the written character represents steam rising from a pot). In the UK I suppose we'd call it spirit but I'm not totally sure we really have a word for it. However, the older I get I'm certainly more convinced of the effect it can have. In my job I facilitate a lot of workshops involving groups of people and I have seen first hand how my energy influences them. The more positively energised I am the more they are and vice versa. If I let my energy slump then theirs will to, or a stronger personality will step in and take over the group if even if I don't want them to.
I've also been to lectures and coaching sessions where the person running it just doesn't manifest energy and these can be very dull sessions indeed. So it follows that the way you manifest your energy can also effect your fencing. Musashi recounts occasions when Martial Arts masters should become like a rock wall. He's obviously not talking about a physical transmutation so what is he getting at? To me, he's referring to the mental attitude or spirit of such a Master manifesting as an unassailable, invincible force thus striking the opponent with a sense of awe, futility and ultimately defeat. In some accounts this could apparently lead to the opponent being either unable, or unwilling, to strike. These sorts of phenomena have been recounted in earlier annals of sword arts such as Kendo but you can still see it in elite sports performers today in that a certain sense of inevitability or victory can surround such people.
So imagine being able to apply this energy in your fencing bouts. What effect would it have? I'm not talking about some sort of Jedi Force powers, or goat staring etc. I'm talking about the energy of positive thinking and intent; a belief that you can triumph and that you have the potential to do so. I know that sometime I come onto the piste with a "Let's just see what happens" kind of attitude but I'm going to be making efforts to change that this year. I may not be a Samurai Master but that doesn't mean I can't have the right attitude. I'll let you know how I get on!
* The post header is a quote from 'Kelly's Heroes' in case you were wondering....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home