Sunday, January 10, 2010

Is Fencing a Martial Art?

Hello and Happy New Year to you all! The title of this post is something that has caused me to ponder for many a year now. And I think I now have my personal answer which is, "No, even though I'd like it to be."
I've now come to the conclusion that Fencing these days is really a sport loosely based on combat, which is actually a world of difference from a martial art. In some ways I'm surprised that I'm not more disappointed by this personal revelation but in other ways I'm quite pleased. Why? Because it's fair to say that the vast majority of people only really take up fencing as a hobby, or as a social activity, or as a competitive discipline with winning in mind; which is perfectly fine. These folk don't want to do a martial art or they would have taken one up, therefore it is unreasonable of me to get frustrated when the vast majority of the fencing world raises a collective eyebrow at the concept of it being a martial art.
However, the fact that fencing isn't really a martial art doesn't mean I personally can't treat it as one and bring learnings and values that I whole-heartedly believe in from other disciplines into it. In fact, shouldn't we do that with life in general? A lot of the things I have learnt through fencing can be applied to my day job and to my life. It's these learnings that make me think that for some of us Fencing isn't a hobby, or a martial art; it's a way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Kent said...

Good post. I agree.

The question I have been asking myself of late is, " is fencing spiritual or does it have spiritual aspects?" Not trying to over romance it...or compare it to Bushido...or anything like that. Just wondering.

I suspect your last sentence was a reference to the Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching

Sun Jan 10, 11:06:00 PM 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fencing is much closer to a martial art than mma is. Fencing, now turned sport, was once taught to soldiers.

Martial means war

Rick
http://martialarts808.com/FightingTechniques/

Mon Jan 11, 07:37:00 AM 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home