Thursday, December 17, 2009

Reflections

It's been a bit quiet on here lately but I have been reflecting away in the background about what to write. My energies have recently been taken up with epee and the recent club competition where I probably ended up in the right place in the final placings according to my current ability with the weapon. I did glean a lot of experience from it such as:
It's difficult to de-program 20 years of foil experience in a few months - and I'm not sure I'd want to completely do this anyway!
There are common techniques that are effective between foil and epee and they are circular sixte parries with ripostes made in opposition, binds, fleches with binds
There are bound to be more when I think about it some more
I really need to get my arm out and leave it there when fencing epee, there is no need to feint and disengage, particularly whilst flecheing
I still need to remain calmer in the face of frustration, but as Abi pointed out to me, it's ok to get annoyed with myself as it shows I love what I do
What I do need to do is emotionally leave a fight behind and move onto the next one
The only person who puts pressure on you - is you!
As part of my epee experience I've been getting some great advice from people recently as well, which is where some of the insights above have come from. So thanks to everyone who has taken the time to pass on their thoughts, it is greatly appreciated. I suppose some people would say I think too much about fencing but I personally don't think you can ever over analyse things if you want to learn. Over train yes, over-analyse no.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Kent said...

Glad I found your blog.

I will check back often.

Thu Dec 17, 04:52:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

Glad to have another reader!

Fri Dec 18, 05:02:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home