Thursday, October 01, 2009

The gift of insight

Last night I was pretty tired so wasn't expecting to achieve much at the club apart from staying awake. Instead I received the gift of a number of insights from various people, which just goes to prove that if you pay attention and keep alert you can always get pleasantly surprised. Here's what I learnt and to whom thanks are due...
From Tony
The fact that I need to angulate my blade more and attack with more pressure at epee. Also, the gift of me only losing to him by 15-11, my best result yet
From Jamie
The fact that the foot is a completely valid target in epee and I shouldn't forget it. But that I can also leave it there as bait. Also, complimenting my best hit of the evening, an attack with coule down his blade done on the lunge. (Apparently quite rare in epee at Norfolk Fencing Club). In addition, giving me a hint as to how I can exploit my foil parries more effectively. I may have lost 15-5 but it was worth it.
From Abi
The fact that it's still fun to get challenged and that I am obviously worth fighting. I will have my revenge next time!
From Chris and Alex
The fact that a good discussion about fencing always turns up good ideas for future fights, lessons and blog posts!
At the end of the evening I hadn't won a fight but I'd scored some good hits and learnt quite a bit in the process. That's what I call a result.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home