Thursday, January 14, 2010

Doubles - a point lost or a point gained?

Double hits at epee are an interesting phenomenon. When I first picked up my epee again after a few years absence they were quite a novelty, seeing as you can't get them in foil. I initially looked upon them as an achievement. "Wow! I'm as fast as the other guy/gal!" Now I'm looking at them as predominantly a frustration. They are now an indicator that I'm just not quite delivering with my techniques; my circular engagement is not strong enough to clear the opponent's blade fully away from my own target area, my fleche is not quick enough or my arm is not extending enough to hit without being hit myself. Last night I had a bout in which I scored five doubles from fifteen hits, three of which were to my disadvantage (i.e. I should probably have hit without being hit) and two were to my advantage (i.e. I was defensively lucky to get my point onto some target). The latter is probably the only occasion when doubles do help, otherwise as a fencer they should be eliminated where possible!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home