Thursday, January 14, 2010

Noticing the Small Things

One of Musashi's maxims is to pay attention to even small things and last night I found an example of such that added some learning to my fencing. I was fencing at epee and had determined to practice more circular parries in sixte whilst opposing my opponent's attack. Obviously my intent had translated into some physical tension and I suddenly noticed my shoulders had tightened up a lot (which by simple laws of bio-mechanics travelled through my bicep into my forearm and into my hand). It also lead to me crouching forward slightly which of course meant my target area was closer to my opponent! I then made a conscious effort to relax this tension and found that my point control improved quite a bit. It also lead to me enjoying the sensation of gaining insight, which in turn lead to me enjoying and appreciating the fight more. It was a pretty good fight as well as Abby and I matched each other point for point and I think I would have enjoyed it even if I hadn't got that last point to win 15-14. It was a classic case of what fencing is all about for me; learning, friendly but meaningful combat and also fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home