Friday, April 10, 2009

A change is as good as a rest?

On Wednesday I shall be taking part in an epee competition at my club. It's a friendly Easter type thing but I've never actually competed at this particular discipline. Nevertheless I thought I'd have a go (after some coercion) as it's a different experience. I have fenced with an epee before and it is certainly a completely different style. I find it's much more mentally tiring as you are concentrating much more on a smaller target area, usually the arm or wrist. It's funny how concentrating mentally is tough physically but I guess this shows that mind and matter truly are linked!
Tactics are also different in epee as you can counter if you are quick enough and still score a point. Reach is also more of a factor from what I can see so far. In a lot of ways I have to switch off my foil brain and do something completely different but similar at the same time! Sometimes this is a good thing though as stagnation is something that all fencers should strive to avoid. I'll let you know how I get on in the first rounds....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home