Saturday, January 03, 2009

A step further...

Many months ago, my students told me of something that would improve my knowledge of life and the way of the warrior. It has taken me quite a while to finally accede to their request and seek out this wisdom but now, at last..... I have watched 'Kung Fu Panda'.
It was a most amusing film and did indeed contain little nuggets of wisdom in a very accessible way. It also looked and sounded extremely beautiful. I particularly liked Master Oogway (the turtle) and his wise (and slightly irritating sayings) that were not immediately obvious to everyone. The film had a very positive message about being yourself and allowing your own talents to come through without trying to be something you are not. This is a trap that is very easy to fall into for coaches and students alike. The Coach wishes the Student to be the athlete that the coach wants which puts pressure on the student to comply. Po the Panda only found his true skills when he used them in a way he felt comfortable with; which caused a change in attitude within his master. This is the eternal balance that the Coach must manage, not to make his own expectations a burden for the Student.
Another particularly resonant point for me was when Master Oogway reminded Master Shifu that we spend too much time worrying about yesterday and tomorrow and not enjoying the beauty of the moment. "It is a gift and that is why it is call The Present". I liked that one, it's something that I constantly have to remind myself of. It was particularly touching when Master Oogway 'moved on' and blended with the Peach Blossoms, which those familiar with Eastern symbolism will appreciate as an analogy for transient beauty that should be enjoyed before it leaves us.
So it's fair to say that I enjoyed the film as both a piece of entertainment and also a positive message for the New Year, which incidentally I wish all of you reading this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home