Monday, December 08, 2008

It's a long haul

I've been reading Chris' blog today and two of his posts have kind of combined into this one. I was thinking about the types of fencers and was referring back to a previous post on this blog talking about the fact that there seem to be four types of fencer; fencers, fencers who coach, coaches who fence and coaches. It struck me that I am starting to develop into a fifth type; a coach who coaches coaches. I suppose this is the next logical stage for me and gives me an opportunity to pass on some of my experience of coaching for the last umpteen years. I get a real kick out of helping people to develop both at work and at home and I am now getting a chance to help another generation of coaches and continuing the history of my sport.
This sort of segues into Chris' other point about people wanting things quickly and just wanting the visceral thrill of competition. I was like this when I was younger and really enjoyed the buzz and adrenalin of matches. These days I much more enjoy the satisfaction of giving a lesson that people enjoy and may remember. I like to see people learn. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the odd bout and the pleasure of a hit well delivered but it ain't all about that any more for me. I hope to carry on coaching for as long as I make sense (although some would say it's too late for that) and this will probably outlive my ability/inclination to compete, but I firmly believe that this is a past time that I am in for the long haul....
How about you? What do you want to get out of fencing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home