Saturday, December 06, 2008

What Just Happened?

I was fencing today and noticed that my opponent was keeping his foil in a low guard and tended to react with a parry of octave when I feinted low. I immediately deployed my dreaded low-high compound attack which nine times out of ten would work. In this case however my opponent dodged back and executed a good parry riposte at close range. I shook my head and chuckled to myself, enjoying the exchange of strokes that had just occurred. After the fight I pointed out what had happened to my opponent and he just looked blank and said "Oh, I didn't notice."
I suppose in some ways this is a common occurence. Fencing is a frenetic sport where much happens very quickly and sometimes it is difficult to keep track. I believe that it is a good step for a fencer when they begin to appreciate segments of a fight. I don't think it will ever be possible to be aware of every nuance in a match but when you can plot, plan and execute certain moves and also ascertain your opponent's response to them you are demonstrating considerable maturity as a fencer and have gone beyond the hobby stage.
So next time you are fencing, try and pay attention to what is going on. It adds more pleasure to the whole thing and will greatly increase your knowledge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home