Friday, July 11, 2008

The Four Types of Fencer

On Wednesday Robert made a very astute observation; he pointed out that there are only really four types of fencers. Fencers, Fencers who coach, Coaches who fence and Coaches. When you look round the average salle this invariably holds true. It's an interesting question as to what are the motivational forces that prompt someone to change from one state to another. A lot of people never move from just enjoying the fencing themselves but others find themselves drifting into coaching as they move through their fencing lifespan. I don't know of anyone who became a coach straight off as this seems pretty difficult to me but I am open to correction on that one. I myself am probably somewhere between the third and fourth stage; I still enjoy the odd match and the challenge of the competition but I now get more out of coaching and helping others develop their skills and interest in the sport. When I first started the thought of becoming a coach never even crossed my mind but now here I am, happily blogging away and chewing my nails off at competitions as my crew compete. Funny old world! I'm glad I did get into the coaching though; it certainly broadens your knowledge about the sport and yourself but it's not something everybody is comfortable with. For one thing, it can be difficult adjusting between the coaches mindset and the competitors mindset when you fence and it can definitely remove some of the edge. When I am fencing one of my students a part of my brain is thinking "that was a nice attack" when I should be thinking "kill them!" (Only joking - I shouldn't really be thinking anything ;0) So there are definite pluses and minuses in moving into the coaching realm, but on the whole I am very glad I did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home