Saturday, July 05, 2008

I'll say it again...

Here's an exchange that occurred at the salle this morning...
Young Fencer: "Awww can we do something different, we've been doing this for five years!?!"
Coach: "Are you any good at it yet?"
Young Fencer (slightly taken aback): "Er.. well, no."
Coach: "Then keep practicing and in five years you might be."

As I've said many times before, the above is a typical exchange between a coach and a student. The human brain just has to gratify itself with quick achievement, speedy attainment of goals, avoidance of effort and hard work, above all it wants to subconsciously avoid the tedium of practice....!
I doubt Rafael Nadal pops a couple of serves over in training and thinks "That should do there then". Or that Jonny Wilkinson hoofs a couple of kicks through the posts and thinks "That's sorted that out, I think I might go try taking lineouts instead.."
It's vital that the basics are mastered before you try anything else. We are all like this; I'm quite keen to try some new stuff with the wooden training sword I'm learning to use in Suburi but I'm only too aware that I haven't even learnt how to swing it properly yet, let alone do anything fancy. If I try to move on too quick then the foundations of practice will be weak and the benefits will not arrive. I have all the time in the world to get it right after all.....
So next time the desire to move on strikes; think again and practice some more....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home