Friday, July 18, 2008

Battle Scars

One of the first questions I get asked by people interested in having a go at fencing is "Is it dangerous?" My usual answer is "only in the same way that Grand Prix racing is." By this I mean that because the sport is inherently hazardous (you are trying to stab someone after all) it is in fact quite safe as there are more than adequate safety precautions taken. The fencing jacket and breeches are constructed of a particular fabric and weave so they can withstand a hit of 850 Newtons of force. The mask can withstand a 1000N hit and underneath the jacket the fencer wears an underplastron either of solid construction for ladies (and some chaps if they are so inclined) or fabric of a further 850N. This does provide protection against most events. The most common cause of injury (and in very rare cases fatalities) has been a blade that breaks upon hitting and the jagged end carries on to strike the fencer. Even when this happens things are usually ok. Take this week for instance when I had an interesting experience on the piste. I was fencing in quite a close match and all was going well when my opponent and I attacked almost simultaneously. I had been attempting to provoke an attack and immediately parried his attack into the low line, looking for a riposte up his blade. What happened next was unclear but the result was a loud twang/crack and I felt a simultaneous hard blow on my elbow and thigh. I then noticed that my opponents blade had broken about a third of the way from the guard. It's at this point that you check for holes....! It would appear that the blade broke, the thin end whipping up into my elbow and the sharp end striking my thigh. The hit to my thigh left a neat little hole in my breeches but there was no evidence of outward damage (such as spurts of bright arterial blood etc) so we carried on. Once I got home I discovered a nice little three inch graze along my thigh but that was it. If I had been fencing in track suit trousers it would have been a very different story though so it pays to have the right kit!
I've had four or five blades break on me in my time and also broken two or three of my own (I'm still mourning Mr Whippy) but in all that time have never received an injury worse than my scratch this week. I have however torn my hamstring twice, broken ribs twice and dislocated my thumb. My back's a bit knackered and my right bicep muscle insertion aches like a b-achey thing these days but on the plus side, my Doctor tells me I am the most flexible 41 year old he knows and my legs and overall reflexes are in great shape. (I've nearly lost that stone as well Doc - honest).
So like any sport, it can leave a mark on you, but the benefits far outweigh the injuries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home