Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm not bored, I'm just watching camp fires.

In the classic tome 'The Art of War' Sun Tzu talks about watching emeny camp fires at night to see if they are moving around, either in signs of panic or preparing for a night attack. He also advises that clamour by night indicates nervousness. Very sensible advice I'm sure you would agree. However, the subtle point of this advice is in order for these observations to be made the observer must be calm and focussed, not nervous or distracted. It is in this state that the opportunity to observe the enemy can be taken. How many times at competition do you see other fencers engrossed in their i-pods, or talking with others or bouncing around like mad things? Wouldn't it be better to be watching to see if anything can be gleaned from the opponent's behaviour?
Sometimes at the club I can be found sitting cross legged at the side of the hall watching what's going on. Many people wander up to me and ask "Are you bored?" Well, no, not really, I'm just watching the enemy camp fires.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Yet another great post!

My beloved karate school heavily emphasized the benefits of stillness (we didn't necessarily sit and meditate, except in black belt class, but it was taught subtly: things like needing to stand and wait after a kata just a few extra seconds before you could break the stance and rest, being expected to stand still and quiet while waiting for your class to start or your turn to go, that sort of thing).

Recently I trained at another school for a while, and I was told on at least one occasion that I really stood out for my "focus" -- unlike everyone else in this new school, I had the ability to be still.

I have found the skill to be invaluable on many occasions -- particularly, as you point out, when it would be a good idea to STOP AND OBSERVE what's going on, without rushing in, arms flailing. Not just yet, anyway.

Mon Mar 22, 09:29:00 PM 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home