Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Show Always Goes On...

On Friday my wife and I went to the theatre to see 'Les Miserables' and had a brilliant evening . I always get a buzz from seeing true talent at work and there was plenty to enjoy in the performance. But in my eccentric way, one thing really stood out for me. The singing and set design were all excellent and the performers were outstanding but there was one point in the second half that made me smile. For those of you who know the plot it was at the point where Valjean rescues Marius from the barricade and the actor playing Valjean picked up the other chap and carried him off. In doing so Marius inadvertently dropped his sash. Nothing major, a trifling but niggling detail perhaps and the scene continued apace. However, the next scene was the soliloquy of Javert, a key scene and one of the major plot moments. So, the actor playing Valjean did something very clever. He allowed the scene to continue, singing and acting seamlessly but as he moved off the stage he subtley snagged the offending sash with his left foot and took it with him.
Now you may think this is no big deal but I think it was a great example of presence and attention. a) he noticed it and it's significance to the impact of next scene b) whilst continuing to perform he formulated a plan c) he carried out the plan successfully and with minimal fuss. All whilst delivering a faultless performance.
I don't know about anyone else but I was impressed. A true example of someone fully present in his craft. There is a very good story about Yagyu Munenori and a Noh theatre performer but I will leave that for another post. If I don't come back to it someone remind me.....!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home