Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Elephant of Doubt

Last night I was discussing with my crew how to induce doubt into your opponent's mind. I described it in a semi-humourous way as 'introducing an elephant of doubt' into their minds. Whilst half-joking I was also trying to make a point. Usually of course, the expression is 'element of doubt' which to me suggests a small to reasonable amount. I want to introduce a whacking great elephant of doubt into my opponents; a long-trunked, big eared pachyderm of trepidation. I certainly don't want my opponent getting too comfortable whilst fencing me so I try to introduce different rhythms and techniques in order to do this. A particular favourite is the beat attack on the opponent's preparation. Execute this a couple of times with good timing as they step towards you and they will soon be in a quandary. Do they move forward? If so how? If they are a smart fencer they will then consider inviting your beat attack on preparation and attempt to parry it, probably taking a smaller step in so they can have the space to do so. Which is when you get them with a beat disengage! And the elephant of doubt trumpets yet again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home