Monday, September 22, 2008

Lineage

One of the factors that dominates Eastern martial arts is the concept of lineage. Many schools claim to trace their ancestry back for hundreds of years and to the original masters who originated the techniques within them. It becomes an emotive topic if these lineages are questioned and can result in long terms feuds between schools or 'ryu'.
Western martial arts such as fencing have lost the attachment to their traditional schools. In the 17th-18th centuries there were many diverse schools based on the country of origin such as the Italian school, the French school etc. These schools could breed specific techniques and weapons such as the Italian and French grip foils which gained many adherents in the quest to win duels and avoid injuries. Eventually modern sport fencing homogenised the schools into athletic disciplines which became one indistinguishable form.
Is this a good thing or bad? Well, probably a bit of both. On the one hand, the loss of distinct forms made fencing more accessible to the general public as a whole and less of an elite sport. On the other hand, it has led to a dilution of the traditions and values within it. In my coaching I try and impart some of the traditions within the sport as well as some of the traditions and stories from the East that I think teach the right mental attitude. I try and keep these stories secular, in the sense that I am not there to convince other people about beliefs, more about the right behaviours. It is my intention that hopefully this represents a new blend of two cultures into an enjoyable, stimulating and interesting experience.
In terms of my own lineage, my coaching and fencing skills are the product of years of work with Maestro Andrew Sowerby, my philosophy of fencing from Musashi, Takuan and Munenori and my philosophy of life from a blend of Eastern influences and the great Dave Lowry.
If I were to give my philosophy of fencing a name it would probably be Nen Do Ryu or School of the Way of Thought. I give no certificates and set no syllabus although if you read well between lines you will find enough on these postings to figure it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home