Monday, May 30, 2011

Tsune

I have recently been re-reading one of the inestimable Dave Lowry's books on martial arts entitled 'Clouds in the West'. I tend to settle down with a book by Mr Lowry when I need a reminder of why I coach and enjoy my sport and that there are other people out there who feel the same way about their art. As I've been out of action for a bit a Lowry book is just the thing to get my mental processes turning over*.
Immediately on re-opening this book I came across a new Japanese term that had eluded me in previous readings, "Tsune" which Mr Lowry translates as 'the ordinary or the everyday'. He was using this term to describe his connection with his martial art and some people may wonder why he wasn't describing it as 'special' or 'extraordinary'. Well he went on to explain that his art has now become a regular part of his life and one that he wouldn't be without as it has become an integral part of him. I feel the same about fencing, it's something I can't imagine not doing in some way or form, hence this blog, these ramblings and my occasional tetchiness about some aspects of it. Is fencing a matter of tsune for you yet?

* I was also doing some weeding this morning; a bit detrimental to my elbow injury but excellent for thinking!     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home