Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Don't Rage Against The Machine

I was reading a post on Chris' blog the other night in which he discusses anger and how it can be an ennervative force. Whilst I agree in some ways with this I also think that it is important to manage anger carefully whilst engaged in any form of sport. Anger is an emotional state but like all emotions it causes physiological reactions. The pulse quickens, the muscles engorge with blood, adrenaline floods the system, attention focusses on one thing - the perceived threat, the pupils dilate and the body prepares for fight or flight. Surely this is a good place to be you cry? If you want to win isn't it best to be in a combat state? Well.... perhaps.
The other side of anger makes you more susceptible to rash decisions, it makes your muscles tremble and reduces your capacity for delicate and precise action. It also is only a temporary mental and physical state and will leave you on a downward mental curve eventually. You cannot maintain anger or rage for any significant length of time (unless you have a slight imbalance somewhere).
Here's an example of how anger can change your mood and reactions. This morning I was on my daily drive to work. The first part of my trip is through country lanes and I was enjoying the Autumn morning. Some geese flying, three identical cock pheasants in a field against the mist, the colour of the leaves on the trees. Very relaxing and calm. Then I got to the second part of my trip and I joined the Norwich bypass and was almost immediately cut up by another driver. Instantly my mood was invaded and spoilt by anger. My pulse quickened and I focussed completely on the source of my annoyance; that other driver. (Like most men I am obviously THE best driver around). He was my sole adversary adn I felt a stupid desire to catch him up etc etc. All very silly. Luckily my flare up soon passed but it is an example of how anger can change your day and not necessarily for the better. I prefer to recognise it, let it go and move on, but sometimes this is not so easy. Anger is not good for fencing but calm and assertive intent is. There is a subtle difference and you should learn to spot it; I know I am still trying - maybe not in fencing but certainly in life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home