Thursday, December 21, 2006

"It's rock Jim, but not as we know it..." or "Perception is a funny thing"

Last night I engaged in a lively discussion about Queen as a rock band. P-shaw! Said I, Queen.. a rock band? With songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Find Me SomebodyTo Love, Don't Stop Me Now?!? (But they did). And as for that one about bicycles.... Now compare them to real rock bands like AC/DC, Creed etc. No competition, in my not so humble opinion. Anyhow, what has all this musical badinage got to do wth fencing you ask? Well, it got me thinking about perceoption and how different people's perception of the same thing will be completely different. Once again this was brought home to me during a bout when at 4- 4 my opponent was awarded a point for a two movement attack. I felt that I had scored (albeit off target) with my parry riposte then been hit, hence I should not have lost the point. However the President thought differently and awarded the point to the other side. I probably didn't help myself by exclaiming angrily when I hit off target on my riposte as this probably gave the impression I was conceding the hit. Yet another instance of perception of the same thing in two different ways. And the real truth of the matter is that neither I nor the President was wrong..... Another truth of the matter is that despite having fenced now for nearly 20 years I still forget to behave on the piste... More practice is in order!
As a footnote, I am prepared to concede that "We Will Rock You" and "Fat Bottomed Girls" do, in fact, rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home