Friday, December 15, 2006

Practice

There is an old samurai saying "After victory, tighten the cords of your helmet". What did they mean by this? On face value it seems to be a warning not to get complacent when you have won, as the next enemy (and potential defeat) could be just around the corner. This was very practical advice for the Samurai as they lived in a world where conflict at individual and national level was commonplace. So what has this to do with the title of this post, 'Practice'? Well, I believe that this saying has more depth to it and different levels of meaning and value for the modern fencer. From a competitive point of view it is important not to get cocky when you are winning as more often than not this will lead to a reversal of fortune. There have been many times in my fencing career when I've been ahead in a fight and thought "This one's in the bag". Almost as soon as I thought it I had condemned myself to defeat! (Perversely, this also seems to apply when deliberately trying not to think that - the mind is a funny thing).

But I believe there is more to it than this. It is important as a fencer and student of fencing to always approach your practice or training from the point of an open mind. Just because you have done that disengage lunge countless times in training doesn't actually mean you are good at it. There are still times when I execute a simple technique like a lunge and I know I haven't got it right, which is particularly important when demonstrating techniques to a group. During the practice sessions in the salle it is important to practice even the simplest technique as if you are just learning it.

It is also important to maintain the correct behaviour whilst in the Salle and fencing. The other night I was fencing a bout against one of my students and felt that I had been struck on the arm. The Judge however believed I had been struck on target and the point was awarded to my opponent. Instead of accepting a different point of view with the correct amount of good grace I jokingly rubbed my arm and said "Ow". On reflection this behaviour was not acceptable. As a coach I should be prepared to accept the genuine opinions and decisions of others without comment in much the same way I expect others to respect my opinions and decisions. Thankfully I was only (half) joking with my behaviour but it is only a step to some of the truly petulant behaviour that blights competition today. Some might say I take my responsibilites too seriously but when you believe something is important that is the way it should be.
So when in a position of perceived superiority act humbly. After victory, tighten the cords of your helmet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home