Thursday, July 01, 2010

Seek Out Your Opponent

When you fence at your club (or take part in any bout of your particular discipline) who do you seek out? Is it the same people you fence every week? Are they better, worse or the same skill level as you? It's worth examining this as it can prove instrumental in your development or lack of it. It's natural to want to train with the same people on a regular basis; we are by nature social creatures who like routine but it can also be counterproductive when testing our skills. If we don't push ourselves we don't improve. If you should find yourself drawn to experienced fencers who can teach you something then that's no bad thing, even if it means you lose a lot of bouts. Gradually you will see yourself improve a step at a time and it's important to set yourself realistic goals, such as one more point a week. I have a number of valued sparring partners who I fence and I am never sure how things will go which keeps me alert. Last night I had a neck and neck bout where I faded badly at the end (still working out why...) and another where I was hammered 15-4 but those four hits were planned and executed well. I also found that I was intimidated by my opponent and my desire to do well into complete immobility of mind. My thoughts solidified into a confused mess of hesitation and my actions did the same (non-existent Zan Shin - if that isn't a paradox....?)This in itself was a very good lesson!
I have seen fencers of a certain disposition deliberately seek out people they know they can beat in order to inflate their own egos. My counsel would be to seek out those who have gone before and learn from them. As Musashi said "determine that today you will overcome your self of the day before. Tomorrow you will win over those of lesser skill, and later you will win over those of greater skill".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home