Sunday, February 24, 2008

Einstein was probably cr*p at sport

I fenced at the Norfolk County championships today; not a contest that is at the heart of international or even UK fencing but a microcosm of all that goes on in the sport. Highs, lows, tears and celebrations. I wasn't particularly pleased with my performance. Realistic appraisal reveals that despite getting into the last 16 I only really beat two young lads who had three competitions between them, lost closely to one of my students (well done Ben), lost not so closely against another competitor and got knocked out 14-9 on time in the direct elimination. So I am writing this not only with a vague sense of disappointment (and aching limbs) but also perhaps a faint sense of things passing by.
The thing that struck me particularly today is how keen we are to measure a person's worth by results and victories. "But it's a sport Dave, what else would we measure success by mate? Like DUHHH..." I hear some people saying and quite rightly so. But I guess as a coach I see the effect this false construct of success can have on someone when once again they have tried so hard and got no discernible (in a record book sense) result. Even from my personal perspective I felt after the end of my fights that I had achieved no more than I did last year but luckily I have my coaching and writing to fall back on. But many fencers do not and must find some other reason for continuing with the hobby. It is this very reason that I first started this blog in order to discuss the other sides of the fencing experience, the self learning and what I'd pretentiously call the 'philosophy' of the whole thing. In my mind you are not judged by your results but your attitude. Besides, when I walked back to car I could hear a woodpecker in the woods and the crows in the trees. They weren't bothered about fencing results so why should I be?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home