Friday, December 14, 2007

Over thinking...

Is it possible to think too much about fencing? Probably not if it's thinking in a good way. What do I mean by 'a good way'? I guess what I mean is that if you are analysing your performance to see how it can improve then that's a good way. If you're constantly kicking yourself up the backside because you think you're not good enough then that's a bad way. I was having a chat last night with a fencer who felt he was over-thinking about his fencing in the sense that he knew what he wanted to do but by the time he's thought about it he had missed the chance. This was causing him some frustration but I explained that this was in fact good progress as like any form of training the more you do it the better you get at it. Initially it does seem that the brain is not capable of figuring things out quickly enough to react to the situation but as time goes on the reaction becomes instinctive, almost short circuiting the brain and going straight to the muscles involved. This is a good level to reach and can take a long time to attain but it will happen sooner or later. My parry riposte is something I don't have to think about (unless it's not working) so I can concentrate my mind on other matters, such as the fact that my opponent engages in sixte every time they advance, therefore giving me the opportunity to disengage attack on their preparation. This is where the fun comes in and allows you to learn new things as you go along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home