Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Theory of Relativity

One of the things that has always amused me as a coach is how the enthusiasm and energy levels of fights between young students rises meteorically when it concerns siblings. I was coaching a group of younglings this weekend and things were going pretty well, quite relaxed and some good fencing until brother and sister Eduardo and Francesca faced off. Then it was carnage a go go! Francesca (who I think is about nine or ten) suddenly became a whirling dervish when faced with her brother, but at least they didn't hurt each other.... too much!
I had to smile later on when presiding a fight. Francesca was judging for her brother and raised her hand enthusiastically signalling a hit. I halted the fight even though I hadn't seen a hit and enquired "So Eduardo has scored a good hit...?" I could almost see the cogs whirring as realisation dawned that she was just about to award her brother a point. Hand still held proudly aloft, she frowned and said definitely "NO....."
As I said, I had to smile..... Just one of the perilous but humorous dangers of coaching children!       

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home